Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It's Alive! (I-420)


I was working late in my laboratory. Things had not been going well. In fact, it’s been one failure after another. So much so that I wonder sometimes if its worth it.
So I walked out to the roof, and to be honest, I gauged if the fall from this height might kill me. Probably not I thought. Just enough to paralyze me, from the waist down no less. Yea, that would be my luck. I stared into the distant night.
And then like a hydroponic bulb suddenly flickering on, you appeared. Startled me actually as the roof is my happy, solitary place. You were quickly trying to hide your bowl but the smoke still lingered. 
Your awkward movements in the low moonlight made you appear younger than you were. I chuckled as you coughed. 
“Seems we startled each other”, I offered as an olive branch to open the tense space between us. “Fear not. I’m up here mourning the dampening off of almost an entire elbow worth of 420”. 
“A pound?”, you looked shocked as you then continued while lighting what looked like a Marlboro red. “Jesus tap-dancing christ! Fucking fungus will wilt ya man, bad, every time.”
You couldn’t see it in the low light but I popped an instant woody. I watched you exhale smoke for what seemed like an hour and it wasn’t long enough.
The intruding sound of a car horn. A name being called out into the night. Another blast of horn.
You flicked the cig and bolted for the door. “Shit, gotta run...Gonna be up here again soon cutie?”
I wasn’t in control of my tongue. “What? um. yea. sure. Whats your name?” 
“Echo!” as you disappeared down the steps.
And so I live on the roof. Waiting for lightning to strike yet again.
N.


No comments:

Post a Comment

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();