Monday, March 25, 2013

Caught in the rain (Revis)


I was caught in the rain, wasting my time on the ground.

Trading thoughts - across the room - you were surrounded. But it was you who could get me high. I slipped my backpack off and cooly assembled my lonely gear. 
Laptop. Cord. Coffee. I pretended to check my cell for texts but as I already knew, there were none.

I lingered. As if reading something profound. And I continued the charade of deep thought in order to give an impression and to not appear as looking to see who was looking. 
That would be desperate and pathetic.

When our eyes did meet a small cosmic waved rolled through me. You were looking over his shoulder. His back to me. Your wandering gaze telegraphed to me like the frantic morse code of a shipwrecked survivor. Or that part in horror movies when they try to grab a phone instead of making a run for the door. Its over before it has begun.

Still, its like a mutual acknowledgment. If we were in different circumstances, this might get interesting. I remove my jacket which allows you to preview my tattoos. The one on my right upper arm seems to get your attention whenever you can sneek a peek. I chuckle into my go juice. 

The laptop fans wisp and hum as pirated data streams and clogs up the processor. At 60 degrees the 2nd fan kicks on and several non vital programs are suspended to lighten the load. All of this in nano seconds. Intervals of time that are imperceptible to humans. Much like the rain changing to snow. Much like your potential filled gaze changes to walking out the door, hand in hand with the man whose back I saw. It all just was... and then it wasn’t. Echo used to tell me stuff like that all the time. 

N.

No comments:

Post a Comment

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();